Sunday, February 19, 2017

Day 37: Halfway There!


Simon walks up to me as I teach and hands me a note. I open it just to get him to go back to his seat. Inside is a list of all the people he's supposedly "smarter" than. I hold back a laugh as he walks happily back to his chair. Content to focus on the lesson now that he's delivered his message. 

Stories like this are almost a daily occurrence the past three weeks. If it's not Simon it's another student who's constantly letting me know that I make a difference, that feels comfortable sharing things with me and wants me to be proud of them. It fills my heart with joy that I may only be a Senior in college, yet I have 110 children that I couldn't imagine loving more if they were my own. (It probably helps that I get to send them back every day!) Now it hasn't all been a bed of roses. There's getting up at 5 am every morning. There's the six hours I spent on ten test questions. There's the grading, and the silent lunches, and the late nights lesson planning. But after three weeks of being in the trenches, I can say that it's been such an amazing experience. Becoming Ms. Woods may be a lot of work, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 


How can you make a difference in the lives of those around you today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment